If your hyperlink is not working, it can delay your work and can be frustrating. If your hyperlink in word suddenly stopped working, which means its clickability is lost and is not working the way it is supposed to, you are not the only person this is happening to. An error with the hyperlink is a common occurrence and is not a significant issue, no matter how frustrating it proves to be. You can easily fix this issue.
How Can You Solve the Issue?
This issue can be solved easily. Firstly, you need to detect the correct reason for which you are facing the issue. After that, you should know how to edit hyperlinks. This article will take you into thorough detail about the reasons many face this issue as well as how to solve it easily.
Why Hyperlink Doesn’t Work in Word
Detecting reasons is essential to finding ways to solve the issue. Here are the main reasons you might be facing an issue with hyperlinks.
If you have the issue of the blue color text not appearing after inserting a hyperlink, you have likely misspelled the hyperlink. This can occur if you have not copied the hyperlink correctly or if it is pasted incomplete.
Web Browser Link is Corrupted
The browser link that you have copied is likely corrupted, and due to this reason, your hyperlink is not underlined.
Backdated Microsoft Word
If you are facing the issue of the hyperlink taking you nowhere, this is likely the issue.
MAC Lost the Clickable Link
If you have lost the clickability of a hyperlink in MAC, this is the issue you are probably facing. We have provided solutions for these reasons to help you swiftly detect and solve the problem.
Ways to Fix Hyperlinks in Word
Once you’ve detected the reason for your hyperlinks causing a problem, look into the best possible solution that will solve it. These solutions provide details as well as the step-to-step process that will help solve the problem easily.
Restarting or rechecking applications or software is always a good start to fixing problems like these. These steps will guide you on how to achieve them.
- Open the webpage and click on the top left icon to refresh.
- Close the document you are working with and reopen it.
- Close all the tabs available in your browser.
- Next, close your browser after saving the bookmarks.
- On a new tab on your browser, insert the tab.
- Lastly, close and reopen the Microsoft program.
These steps will hopefully ensure in solve your problem; however, if you are still facing the issue, move on to the next solution.
2. Rechecking Hyperlink Text
You need to check your hyperlink if there are any errors in it. Check it thoroughly and firstly see if there are any spelling issues, then correct them. You can also make sure that it has been fully and correctly copied as well as correctly pasted.
After doing the minor things, you need to ensure that the website from which you copied the link is reliable and authentic. Try to use the address text box in word. Also, check that the hyperlink on the webpage is not corrupted, clear the hyperlink, and reset it. To edit the hyperlink, right-click on it to start editing. If your hyperlink is not the problem, then you need to change the settings in word.
3. Changing Settings in Word
You will be able to solve the problem by changing the setting in your word. You will have to tick or un-tick the Show ‘Field Codes Instead of their Values’ option.Different versions of the word have different methods on how to edit settings. Read the headings and follow the instruction of the version of the word that you have.
Solution for Word 2007
Follow the following steps:
- Go to the Office button.
- Next, go to the word option.
- Now you will have to navigate through and select the proofing option.
- From here, you will need to choose the Autocorrect option.
- Next, you will have to click on the AutoFormat option.
- Check the dialog box of ‘replace as you type.’
- From your keyboard, type ‘Tab’ and navigate ‘internet with network paths with hyperlinks.
- Click enter after the hyperlink text on your word document.
- You will notice that your hyperlink is now active.
Solution for Word 2010 and 2013
- Open the word file that you are currently working on and face the hyperlink problem.
- On the top, click on the insert option.
- Navigate the hyperlink option from the given list. Then, right-click on the hyperlink option.
- Next, you will have to click on Customize the Ribbon option, which will open a bar on the left.
- Click the Advanced option.
- Navigate the Ctrl + Click option
- See if the box beside this particular option is checked. If yes, then uncheck it.
- To complete the process click OK. If it does not pop up, it’s okay.
Solution for Word 2016 and 2020
- Open the word document which is having an issue.
- Click on the file at the top of the word document.
- Click on the Options box.
- Now, from the options list, click on the Advanced option.
- Next, click on the Show document content option from the given list.
- Next, you will have to uncheck the box beside the Show Field Codes Instead of their Values option.
- However, if the box is unchecked, check it.
- To finish the process, click ok.
Making Hyperlinks Clickable on MAC
Follow the following steps to achieve our purpose.
- Type the text you want to hyperlink in the ‘text to display box’
- Next, paste the desired link in the link to the field or the Address option.
- Now you will have to select the field and ⌘ cmd +v.
- This will result in your link being pated to the text, making it clickable.
What is the importance of hyperlinks?
Hyperlinks are key to creating a web. They connect pages over the web to each other.
What is a shortcut for adding a hyperlink to a word?
You can press Ctrl + K to open an Address box in which you will have to paste the link.
What should I do if my hyperlink is not working?
Identify the hyperlink that is not working, then find out the best possible reason as to why it is not working. After that, you can choose a solution accordingly.
Microsoft Word is an essential part of our work daily. Adding a hyperlink to a word document makes one’s work more efficient. However, a hyperlink not working can cause unnecessary delays in one to work that can lead to a lot of frustration.
However, this annoying issue is a common occurrence that can be solved easily. We have provided all the details of how you can detect the reasons for the problem and numerous ways to jump over this hurdle and solve the issue.
Fix your problem with the provided solutions and get back to adding hyperlinks to your word document in no time!